by Emmett R Smith
Here are yet more images that show the lightning and accelerating speed with which in a generation we in the Old Atlantic West have left behind utterly modernity in all of its forms.
This is a 1936 Ford Coupe built for and owned by Allegheny Ludlum Steel, five years before the attack by the Empire of Japan on the US Navy at Pearl Harbor.
It was on display at a recent Allegheny Ludlum open house and then was featured in a local parade with over 100 of our salaried, hourly and retired employees walking alongside.
This is 1 of only 4 in existence and is the only one currently in running and in roadworthy condition.
The car is in exceptional condition, with the interior and even the frame looking great.
All 4 cars each had over 200,000 miles on them before they were taken removed from service.
These cars were built for Allegheny as promotional and marketing projects.
The top salesmen each year were given the honor of being able to drive them for one year.
The V-8 engine (max 85 hp) ran like a sewing machine and was surprisingly smooth and quiet.
The car was insured (we were told) for the trip to the open house via covered trailer for 1.5 million dollars.
We were also told that the dies were ruined by stamping the stainless car parts, making these the last of these cars ever produced.
More information of the history on these and other Stainless Steel automobiles can be found at Allegheny Ludlum’s website. The story of stainless steel is the story of industrial late-modernity, and certainly we in the West shall ever see the like again.
[Emmett R Smith all rights reserved 4 December 2008]